Monday, February 25, 2008

Cheese Danish Squares

Oh wow are these easy. They're a cheat; you use packaged ingredients but I get comments every time I make them and I hadn't made them in awhile then The Food Goddess from the AJC reminded me to last Thursday in the Food Section. So I did for some girlie friends. Just FYI, they go great with bellinis but better with cawfee.

2 8 oz. packages refrigerated crescent rolls
1 12 oz container whipped cream cheese
1 cup plus 2 T. granulated sugar, divided
1 egg, separated
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Pam your 13x9 baking dish. Line the bottom with 1 package of crescent rolls and pinch the seams together.

In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Spread over dough. Carefully unroll the second package of crescent rolls over the filling.

In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and remaining 2 T. sugar until foamy; brush over top of the rolls. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts if desired.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

P.S. Sometimes I fool around with the vanilla, and use almond flavoring instead, or reduce the vanilla and use a couple of drops of almond. I like it better with a touch of the almond.

Tiedye

1 comment:

Janice said...

Oh My Goodness Tie... I made this recipe today for my family.... They are truly DELISH !!!

Everyone loved them.... Thank you so much for sharing. I know I'll make these again and again....

janice