Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mom's Bread Dressing...

Compliments of ..............bugs aka as buginlowcountry

(this is for a smaller batch... I X's it by 4 for our family of almost 20)

4 Cps. bread cubes (we just get bags of regular bread... nothing too fancy... cheap white bread is what I use... or you could use different kinds of bread, wheat, white, misc... just tear it into small chunks)

1/4 Cp. diced onion

1/4 Cp. diced celery

2 Tbsp. butter

1/2 tsp. sage

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 eggs, beaten
Turkey or chicken broth (I always do the turkey, so I have the broth from it... I bake mine in one of the bags, so it gathers all the juice up nicely. Canned broth will work, but the flavor isn't as good)

Break bread cubes and put into baking pan. Combine butter, onions, and celery in a skillet and saute. Mix the sauted veggies and other ingredients to the bread cubes and add broth until well moistened (I say slightly soupy... and I always add a bit more sage than is called for... because I REALLY like sage!). Bake 30 mins. to an hour (depending on the size batch you make) at 325* or until golden brown on top. YUMMY!!!

I have been known, after a holiday, to make another batch of the dressing, and put all the left over turkey in and bake... Ohmygosh!!! I sooo love this stuff! (*"*)

No comments: