Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CHOCOLATE CHIP PUMPKIN MUFFINS (or BREAD)

Yesssss, another pumpkin recipe. Here's the thing. I bought one of the $15 sized pumpkins at church back around Halloween. HUGE thing. I bought it for the front porch. We didn't carve it, it was just part of our harvest porch. Well it lasted, and it lasted, and it LASTED. No rotten spots like you usually see after a couple of weeks. Guess it was because the weather was cold and it preserved it. Who knows. So. When we got ready to put the Christmas porch up, I found myself with a perfectly good hunormagondous pumpkin on my hands. Couldn't throw it away. I've been bred not to do such wasteful things. So I cut it in half, scooped the seeds and strings out, (toasted the seeds ^_^ ) and BAKED the darned thing. It took BOTH ovens. The result? TWELVE QUARTS of pureed pumpkin. Yep. So here's what I did with a pint of it today:
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (I used raw sugar)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • hefty pinch of ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • hefty pinch of ground ginger
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
Whisk together first three ingredients until blended well. Add pumpkin and water and whisk until blended.

In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, soda, cloves, ginger, and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and fold until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Bake at 400* for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

--------------------------------------------

Now I know this is not a remarkable recipe, but it's GOOD and it's healthy. I think it's because you don't use the traditional pumpkin spices, and so it gives it a whole different taste.

Enjoy!

Tiedye

No comments: