Saturday, October 6, 2007

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Since I am on a soup kick AND I have been reading about the benefits of curry and yellow vegetables AND I have known for a long time that apples are good for you, I decided to put this crockpot recipe here for y'all to see. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good to me. (I don't have a lot of kick a*** recipes yet. But y'all might just turn me into a cook.

INGREDIENTS
2 lbs butternut squash - rinsed, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1'" cubes
1 firm crisp apple - rinsed, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 yellow onion - chopped
5 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp curry powder - sweet or hot
1/4 tsp ground cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries - optional

DIRECTIONS

1. Place squash, apples and onion in 4 qt crockpot
2. Mix broth, curry powder and cloves in a small bowl. Pour over vegetables
and cover.
3. Cook on low 5-5 1/2 hours or on high for 4 hours - until vegetables are tender
4. Process in blender in 2-3 batches until desired consistency.
5. Add salt and pepper and garnish with cranberries if desired

No comments: